Many students today use electronic dictionaries instead of printed dictionaries. Some people say that this is a good thing while others disagree. What is one major advantage or disadvantage of electronic dictionaries?
One Major Advantage of Electronic Dictionaries
Electronic dictionaries are becoming more and more popular among students nowadays. As a result, they may eventually render printed dictionaries obsolete! Undeniably electronic dictionaries contain a number of merits in comparison to their printed counterparts and therefore, I would like to suggest one major advantage of electronic dictionaries.
Perhaps the most pronounced advantage of electronic dictionaries is that all of them are portable and consequently easy to carry around, whether in a pocket or a bag. Students can put the dictionary in their pocket and look up new words whenever and wherever they are. This is a huge advantage over the traditional large paper bound dictionary because size really does matter. This compactness means not only that electronic dictionaries are getting smaller and lighter as well as incorporating a bigger memory but also that dictionaries can be installed into other small portable devices such as mobile phones. Although smaller in some people’s view means less availability of memory and other functions, with the increasing advances made in nanotechnology this is no longer the cases.
In the final analysis, electronic dictionaries are the by-product of the inexorable progress of computerization, miniaturization and nanotechnology which has meant that one of their biggest advantages is their small size while still enjoying all the benefits of earlier, larger models. (214 words)
1. In many respects, printed dictionaries are inferior to electronic ones. For example…
2. The popularity of electronic dictionaries vindicates their superiority over printed ones．
3. The mobility of a small electronic dictionary yields much convenience to the user.
4. The fact that one can also download audio or electronic books onto an electronic dictionary consolidates its superiority.
5. All in all, although printed dictionaries are still useful in terms of learning a language, electronic dictionaries are certainly much better suited for that purpose because they are light and portable.