1. at present/ currently/lately/ recently/ nowadays/ these years/ in the past several decades /over the last several years
2. at the turn of the century
3. Thanks to China’s reform and opening-up policy, .. has witnessed great economic and social progress in the past two decades.
4. With the (rapid, marked, amazing, eye-catching, remarkable, fantastic) development/
progress/growth/ advance/improvement of economy/ society/industry/ living standard,
great changes have taken place in…
5. At the mercy of the ever-accelerated updating of science and technology, there are rapid
changes in all aspects of our everyday lives
6. With the arrival /advent of the invention of…/the information age /the 21st century
/the economy age,
7. We are now entering a brand new era.The 21st century is a time of advanced scientific and technological knowledge.
8. The human race has entered a completely new stage in its history. We have just crossed
the threshold of the 21st century and the curtain of the new millenium is slowly rising.
9. We are blessed with new opportunities and faced with new challenges.
10. With the increasingly rapid economic globalization and urbanization, more problems are brought to our attention.
11. As… develops,
12. Along with the development of. .. more and more..
13.In the past few years, there has been sharp growth/boom decline in······
14. With the steady growth in the country’s economy as well as the people’s living standard,
15. While the rhythm /pace /tempo of people’s living is speeding up, a lot of changes have
taken place in…
16. With the fantastic spur both in industry and in economy in China, the number of…is
on the rise.
17. As living tempo /pace quickens,
18. It is commonly believed that the rise in… is the inevitable result of economic
19. We often find ourselves caught/ involved in a dilemma whether we should reach for the
bear’s paw or for the shark’s fin.
20. There is a growing worldwide awareness of the need for·······
21. Recently the issue /problem of… has been in the limelight /brought into focus/
brought to public attention /concern.
22. A recent report released by the government has caused nationwide repercussions.
23. Recently the phenomenon has aroused wide concern.
24. One of the (universal /pressing /burning /urgent)problems /issues we are faced with
(confronting us) is that…
25.Recently the problem/ issue/ conflict has become the focus/ concern of the public
26. There is a public /general heated /impassioned debate /discussion /controversy
today nowadays as to over/on /concerning the issue /problem of…. Those who
criticise oppose object to… contend /argue that…. They believe that….But
people who advocate favor /are for … on the other hand, maintain /assert that.:.
27. A public debate has arisen as to the phenomenon of. .
28. Recently, there is a vehement discussion on the issue of…. Those who criticise… argue
that…. They claim that…. But people who firmly advocate on the other hand, argue that…
29. There is a long-running debate as to whether······
30. It is undeniable that .. has become the biggest concern of the present-day world.
31. Now it is commonly /generally /widely believed /held /accepted /recognized
that…. They claim /argue/ hold that..
But I wonder /doubt whether it
32. As the proverb goes: “Every coin has its two sides.······is no exception
33. No garden without its weeds.
34. As the old saying has it,“
35. There are two sides to every question.
36. Everything has double folds.
37. Every medal has its reverse.
38. I cannot totally accept the idea that.. because, in my point of view, I believe…
39. There are numerous reasons why. .. and I would explore only a few of the most
important ones here.
40. There is another reason why cast my preference for…
41. There are many good reasons against doing something.
42. The social and economic advances, the quickening of living tempo and the ever
increasing competition are deemed as the main contributors to······
43. There are some major causes for. .. One cause is. .. Another cause is … And the
most frequently stressed cause is..
44. It can not be denied that…
45. Nowadays, it is generally widely commonly /prevalently held /accepted /assumed
46. It goes without saying that…
47. There is no denying that…
48. I fully agree with the statement tha
The reasons are chiefly as follows:
49. As to me, I am in favor of the first /second view. There are many reasons for my ineli
nation, but the following ones are most important.
50. Before giving my opinion, I think it is essential to look the argument on both sides
1. My argument for this view goes as follows:
2. There is considerable evidence in favor of ..
3. One very strong argument for .. is that.
4. firstly /first /in the first place /first of all /to begin with /above everything else /ir
the first instance
5. secondly /in the second place
6. besides /in addition (to)/ furthermore /moreover
7. finally /last of all/ last but not least/ lastly/ in the last place
8. admittedly /I admit conceding that /I concede
9. to be frank/ frankly speaking/ honestly speaking
10. The birth invention of. . has made an enormous essential difference to. …but it
does not mean that.
11. Many people hold an erroneous view towards······
12. In my opinion, both views are lop-sided.
13…., as the product of modern civilization have been playing a vital part in the daily
activities of human society.
14…. has changed the way our society develops. But its bright side should not keep us
from following closely its dark side.
15. But we must not lose sight of the fact there are disadvantages /benefits to doing some-
16. As to whether it is a blessing or a curse, however, people take different attitudes
17. … if made the best the worst of, will bring some distinct advantages disadvantages to…
18. There is a good side and bad side to everything, and that includes..
19 .. is a two-edged sword.
20. Obviously, .. like anything else, have more than one face. While they are indispensble to
mankind, they also bring us serious problems.
21. There is merit in both these points of view. There are merits to both of these two
22. There is probably some truth on both sides
23.There is probably a little bit of truth in both arguments.
24. It is a common saying that…
25. It is probably no exaggeration to say that…
26. It is a traditional practice to… in our society.
27. No one can cast any doubt on the fact that…
28. It will have exercise /exert produce /bring about a decisive profound far-reach-
ing beneficial disastrous unfavorable) effect /influence /impact on…
29. It may create cause/ result in/lead to/ give rise to host of/ set of/ series of problems.
30. There are several advantages in /of…
31. The advantages of far outweigh/ are much greater than/ carry more weight than the
disadvantages of B
32. The pros outweigh the cons.
33. For all the disadvantages… has, it has its beneficial effects.
34. We should take more critical view of…
35. They may be right about.., but they seem to fail to take into account the fact that···
1. in general /on the whole /generally
2. all in all
3. From the foregoing,…
4. in brief/ in summary/in conclusion/ in short/ in word/ to sum up/ to conclude/ to summarize
5. If it is up to me to make a choice between A and, would rather choose… over ..
6. If I were forced to agree with one of the two my choice would be…
7. From the above comparison and contrast, anyone can safely conclude that…
8. When the advantages and disadvantages are carefully compared, the most striking conclusion is self-evident.
9Judging from all evidence offered, we may reasonably come to draw the conclusion
10. It is high time that we the government did…
11. To achieve this goal, however, we still have a great distance to cover.
12. It is urgent /important necessary that appropriate effective proper actions mea-
sures steps/ method be taken to end/ correct/ improve..,
13. There are believed expected supposed to be two effective measures practical
schemes sound solutions, one of which is ..
14. Both governments and ordinary citizens should join hands to make this world a better
place to live in, not only for ourselves, but also for future generations.